I have been running for over 40 years. It is my healthy addiction and my salvation. I would like to offer you 10 thoughts about running that may help you make it beyond the second day as well as give you a glimpse into what it is like to be part of the running community.
1. Plan to start out slowly if you have not run before. Many people stopped running after two days because they went too hard, too fast and they were very sore. If your muscles are sore rub them with Bio Freeze for relief or with a tennis ball to help relieve the tension.
2. When you run relax your body and focus on breathing in and out. Many runners tighten their shoulders and hold their breath when they first start out.
3. Ignore the term “A real runner”. If you run you are a real runner.
4. If you are looking for a community that accepts everyone with very little judgment, the running community is the right fit for you.
5. Running 5k races is a gateway drug. One minute you are running 3.1 miles and the next week you sign up for a marathon in the desert.
6. You will have more race t-shirts than you know what to do with.
7. Running is a beautiful escape when nothing in your life makes sense, and it allows you to reflect on your gratitude when everything is going well.
8. You can eat dessert when you run.
9. You will make friends at races.
10. You will have an impressive sneaker collection.
I hope you give running a try. It has been an amazing part of my life.